KIVO plastic verpakkingen was foundedby Th.A. Kwakman
In the autumn of 1966, first production of flexible plastics based on polyethylene started in a small factory in Volendam. This was the beginning of the family-owned company KIVO (Kunststof Industrie Volendam).
Driven by strong customer-oriented entrepreneurship the production quickly expanded into a large variety of LDPE film, tube and bags for many different applications. KIVO was immediately regarded as a significant player and the foundation was made for further continuous growth and development.
Already in 1984, KIVO started with production of film, tube and bags based on High Density Polyethylene (HDPE). The plant and product portfolio was again expanded to facilitate further growth. Up to this day, KIVO is considered a main player for the production of HDPE-based flexible plastics in Europe.
Start with three layer
From the start, KIVO was focused on constant quality, continuous improvement and development and professional service. Getting ISO certified in 1995 was a logical and necessary step. In that same year formal measures were taken as a forerunner of what was to become the BRC certificate for packaging to enhance and ensure food safety.
In 1998 KIVO was taking the next steps when it comes to production techniques and developments of innovative materials and applications. The first two new three layer coextruders were installed and additional lines would follow soon.
In 2008, the general management was passed on by founder Dick Kwakman to his youngest son Robert. In 2010, the ownership was transferred to the three sons Louis, Henry and Robert. Next to Robert, also Louis and Henry work for KIVO on a daily basis. The family business could therefore be continued with the same commitment and drive for years and hopefully for more generations to come.
Over the more recent years KIVO Plastic Verpakkingen has developed itself from one factory located in hometown Volendam to a real group of companies and partnerships throughout Europe. Currently, KIVO Group employs over 370 employees in 4 factories and offices in 3 countries. KIVO continues to invest in people, innovation, growth, partnerships and the environment.
- In 2012, Polaris Verpakkingen in Zwolle was acquired. As production capacity grew, we already had to relocate to bigger locations twice.
- In 2015, KIVO opened a state of the art production facility for extrusion, flexo-printing and confection in Kacanik (Kosovo) in cooperation with its Kosovar partners. Further expansion started in the autumn of 2016. Currently the capacity had already doubled to accommodate the growth plans and opportunities.
- In 2016, KIVO started with three layer thermobonded lamination in cooperation with a major customer.
- In 2015 and 2016, KIVO was rewarded by EFTA-Benelux and FTA Europe with the first prize and as 2nd winner respectively for its outstanding quality in flexo-printing.
- In March 2017, KIVO and Frischmann Kunststoffe GmbH entered into a joint venture with the acquisition by KIVO of 51% of the shares in Frischmann Kunststoffe GmbH. Frischmann was already an important partner of KIVO for over 25 years. Owner Lutz Frischmann continues to manage the joint venture with the same passion and commitment. The strong partnership between KIVO and Frischmann will offer new opportunities for further joint development in sales, purchasing and production.
Pursuing all these interesting challenges and opportunities, combined with a very open, curious and forward-looking attitude, ensure that more opportunities and possibilities arise. Also in the future, KIVO will be in constant development in order to build and maintain important positions in carefully selected European markets.